A lower ABV whiskey drink that combines the flavors of honey, apple, and cinnamon.
This drink comes from the television show Bar Rescue (Season 3, Episode "Hostile Takeover"). It originally contained Bushmills Irish Honey whiskey but unfortunately that is no longer made by the distillery. Thankfully, there are alternatives still available.
Some notes before beginning:
- A high quality apple juice, like Martinelli's Apple Juice is strongly recommended.
- Make your own cinnamon syrup to take the quality of this cocktail to the next level!
- Because this is a low ABV drink it makes a good introductory whiskey cocktail. It's not strong or spirit forward because it only takes 1.5 ounces of a blended whiskey.
While you sip on your Touch & Go, check out this video about apples and cultivation in America.
Before Prohibition apples were mostly used in America for "cider making and baking". The confusing part when reading historical records is that before prohibition in the early 20th century apple cider in America meant something totally different than today.
Currently, American apple cider is known as a dark, raw, and unfiltered beverage. It's made from the juice of pressed apples and contains no alcohol. From earliest European settlers (specifically British) through American colonial times and until prohibition, apple cider was akin to modern day hard cider. This drink most likely contained at least 6% ABV and was widely consumed by men, women, and even children.
In early America, apple juice, the filtered and pastureized drink, wasn't even a concept. The French microbiologist Louis Pasteur didn't invent his pasteurization process until 1862. In 1917, Stephen G. Martinelli Jr. brought a pasteurized and unfermented product to market after Martinelli's had been producing apple cider (aka hard cider) for nearly 50 years. One can assume the company had sensed the growing trend of the country, as many states and local communities began to go "dry", and wanted to protect their revenue.
Enjoy! If you have any feedback, contact information is in the footer.
- Krypton -
- 0.25 oz lemon juice
- 0.25 cinnamon syrup
- 1.5 oz apple juice
- 1.5 oz honey whiskey
- Boston shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Rocks glass
- Combine ingredients in shaker with ice
- Shake for 8-10 seconds
- Strain into a glass on the rocks
Possible garnish ideas:
- fresh lemon wheel and put in on the edge of the glass
- float a dried lemon wheel
- express a fresh lemon peel over the drink, rub the rim of the glass